In grades K-8, the language arts curriculum includes the continuing development of receptive language as students access and evaluate information through reading, listening, and viewing:
- Students develop and apply skills to decode, comprehend, interpret, evaluate, and appreciate print materials.
- Students understand and appreciate literary forms.
- Students listen effectively for a variety of purposes with emphasis on comprehension and evaluation of spoken language.
- Students view for a variety of purposes with emphasis on appreciation and information collection.
In grades K-8, the language arts curriculum includes the continuing development of expressive language as students communicate effectively through writing, speaking, and visually representing:
- Students develop writing skills to communicate their ideas, opinions, and feelings for a variety of purposes.
- Students have a variety of formal and informal speaking opportunities to present information, explore ideas and experiences, persuade, and reflect.
- Students express themselves using nonverbal means including illustration, diagram, computer graphics, photography, and physical movement.